Accidental spill forces officials to seal off laboratory at Winthrop University

Police and fire officials were called to help contain a chemical spill at Winthrop University in Rock Hill, South Carolina, on Monday, January 23, 2012, reports the Herald Online.

A student accidentally spilled a 1-gallon beaker of hydrochloric acid in the university’s laboratory, said Winthrop spokeswoman Judy Longshaw to the source.

The student alerted the proper officials, and the room was sealed off.

Hydrochloric is a clear, poisonous acid that is typically used in the university’s school laboratories.

Fire officials may want to stock their inventories with the necessary absorbent devices to effectively handle toxic situations that pose threats to public safety.

XSORB Acid Neutralizing 65-gallon spill Response Kits may be a worthwhile tool to use. The kit can handle big spills, and fire officials would be able to use the XSORB Acid Neutralizing Absorbent formula to turn the acid into a dry material, which could be easily swept up in minutes.

When there is a toxic spill, cleanup crews can protect students and teachers with the right equipment. XSORB products may help resolve sensitive situations to get campus back to normal in just a few hours. 

Scroll to Top