Meeting By Accident — NOT!
A billboard for an auto body shop bears the headline, "We Met By Accident," and shows an attractive couple standing by two damaged cars. We don't imagine this type of advertising will replace more traditional methods of finding one's soul mate— or that what it infers is a good idea.
But accidents of all kinds do happen on a regular basis, more so in cold, wet months when it's dark, and people can more easily slip and fall at a place of business, leading to costly slip-and-fall claims. The National Council on Compensation Insurance's (NCCI) Workers Compensation Statistical Plan reports the average cost for falls or slips claims in 2017-2018 was $47,516 — the equivalent of an annual salary for some people!
The National Safety Council says falls are 100% preventable, and recommends business owners and workers take the following precautions:
- Discuss task with coworkers and determine what safety equipment is needed
- Make sure you are properly trained in how to use the equipment
- Scan the work area for potential hazards before starting the job
- Make sure you have level ground to set up the equipment
- If working outside, check the weather forecast; never work in inclement weather
- Use the correct tool for the job, and use it as intended
- Ensure stepladders have a locking device to hold the front and back open
- Wear slip-resistant shoes, and don't stand higher than the third rung from the top
- Don't lean or reach while on a ladder, and have someone support the bottom.
Here at Impact Absorbents, we recommend keeping safety in your pocket at all times, with a Pocket Safety Cone. Whether a spill has just occurred, or there's a spill clean up in progress, these bright orange pop-up cones are the first line of defense against slip and fall accidents. Once the cones are strategically in place, marking off the spill area, you can employ our XSORB Spill Station with Long Broom to handle the mess, leaving your floors clean, dry, and residue free in a matter of minutes.
Our Spill Station will help:
- Reduce slip and fall injuries
- Cut labor costs up to 70%
- Open aisles in record time
- Keep everyone safe with its non-toxic ingredients.
Clever billboards may catch your attention, but to stay safe out there, keep the spill containment and spill clean up solutions you need on hand, so you can prevent those accidents from ever happening.