A spokesman for the Indiana Department of Environmental Management (IDEM) said recently that a spill of 1,500 gallons of latex solution into a ditch has been contained, reports the Times of Munster.
According to the news source, IDEM spokesman Barry Sneed said the release of the chemical into a ditch leading into Trail Creek in Michigan City, Indiana, was the result of an equipment failure at nearby Fiber Bond Corp. on Thursday, October 20.
Sneed, who said that the material that was released was hazardous but not technically toxic, added that crews installed dikes in the ditch while heavy rains kept the solution diluted, the news source reported. He said that only trace amounts of the chemical ultimately made their way into the creek.
“We didn’t notice any fish kill along the way,” Sneed explained. “There doesn’t appear to be any aquatic impact.”
The news source said officials with Fiber Bond Corp. – which manufactures HVAC and other filters – were not immediately available for comment.
One of the most proven hazardous chemical cleanup products on the market is Impact Absorbents’ XSORB II Super Absorbent Encapsulator Packet.