University of Colorado building reopens after chemical spill

The University of Colorado Engineering Center closed temporarily on March 20, 2012, after a student dropped a 100-milliliter glass bottle of acryloyl chloride, according to Colorado Daily. The chemical spill was reported around 11 a.m., but the Boulder County Hazardous Materials Team eliminated the health threat in roughly five hours.

Cleanup professionals evacuated the building as a precaution. Acryloyl chloride can cause skin irritation and eye damage, but quick environmental cleanup eliminated long-term injury concerns. The news source reports some pupils suffered eye irritation, and four students were evaluated, but did not require medical attention.

A chemical spill can change the course of a school day for students and educators dramatically. People may contact emergency officials to support cleanup efforts, but having an easy-to-use solution on hand may help institutions handle these leaks. Schools may consider ColdForm bonded universal absorbent pads because they deliver an eco-friendly solution that is 40 percent more absorbent than polypropylene.

These products are available in lightweight, medium weight and heavyweight designs, and can absorb harmful chemicals quickly and effectively. In addition, the affordable pads include natural, renewable fibers.

Scroll to Top