Last week, we looked at six smart steps business owners can take to keep employees and customers safe, warm and dry in wet, icy winter weather. Everybody still needs to get to and from your place of business, however, which entails going out into the elements. Unless they’ve learned to teleport. Since Trek’s transporter system is still in development, people will have to brave the weather.
We’re prepared. Here are seven steps to keep the outside of your business as safe as the inside:
- Inspect the rooffor loose shingles, cracks and other potential repairs needed.
- Clean rain gutters. Water flows where it can, and if the proper channels are clogged, it may pour over the roof and rot out your foundation.
- Check storm drains.Grass, leaves and other yard waste clogs the drainage system and pollutes downstream waterways, all of which flow directly into local creeks and rivers. Impact Absorbents Ultra-DrainGuard and Ultra-GutterGuard are ideal spill containment resources, preventing sediment, debris and other contaminants from seeping into the water system.
- Trim tree branchesthat appear loose or are hanging heavily over structures. Consider staking young trees.
- Assemble materials for waterproofing and repairs. Sandbags, plywood, plastic sheeting, lumber and other emergency building materials are all good to have on hand. You can order much of what you might need from us: for erosion control and sediment retention,Jute netting to stabilize the soil and promote the establishment of permanent vegetation on slopes, Wood stakes for anchoring erosion control booms.
- Ask the city to repair uneven sidewalks and walkways. Irregular pavement poses a risk in normal weather conditions, and is amplified exponentially in the presence of rain or ice. You don’t want an employee or customer to trip and go sprawling!
- Plan ahead for de-icing. Keep a supply of melting salt handy at entrances/exits for the maintenance crew and evening shift workers.
Impact Absorbents knows how to make your business winter-worthy when it comes to spill safety. One of our best products for windy, wintry weather is XSORB Outdoor All-Purpose Absorbent, a heavier formula that stays on the ground even in slightly windy conditions. Naturally, this dry spill clean up formula is non-toxic and environmentally friendly, as you’ve come to expect from XSORB. Outdoor easily handles tough spills such as oil, grease and paint, leaving surfaces completely dry and non-slippery in a matter of minutes, even if people are tracking in dirty snow and debris. We’ve got winter spill containment and safety well in hand, so you can feel confident at work, and in getting there and home again. But if you do discover how to beam from one place to another, we’d love a lesson.